Saturday, December 29, 2018

Edward's December 2018 Mix






It’s been quite the eventful month for me. My oldest daughter came home for Christmas, and I got two weeks away from work (always a great thing!) I exceeded my 2018 Reading Challenge on Goodreads.com, and I finally beat Neverwinter Nights, a game I bought way back when it came out in 2002 and never put in the time to beat it. I watched a lot of movies this month, given I’ve had some lengthy vacation time. And I got to dive into some good music and games as well. I’ve been studying music, and it’s strange how sheet music was always a foreign language to me, and now it’s starting to make sense. Incredible how it works!  

1.      Grand Theft Auto V on PC: I've been trying to beat the story and at 26 out of 61 missions, it looks like I have a long ways to go. For the first time in my years of playing computer games I’ve had to torture a guy who did nothing to me to make me hate him. Despite “it’s just a game” it still made me feel uncomfortable and I didn’t enjoy that part of the game at all. This is one reason I finally gave up on the game. That, and never quite knowing what to do next. It didn’t help that none of the characters were sympathetic characters. If/when GTAVI comes out, I’ll probably take a pass.  I see so many screenshots of this dazzling game, but that's not what's made the big impression on me. It's the sound. This game is an aural feast. Amazing, really. Standing outside of a trashy trailer at nightfall and hearing a motorcycle on a distant freeway or a far off coyote. Arguably the best sound design I've heard since EA's ill fated but well intended, SimCity.

2.     Silversun Pickups: Better Nature on CD: One of my favorite bands from the noughts. I never get tired of listening to Silversun Pickups. This album, much like their latest album took more than one listen for it to click with me, but man, did it! I can’t say there’s a standout amazing song like “Lazy Eye” on this one, but the album will fit nicely in a rotating disc tray of other of the band’s works. There seems to be a bit more synthesizer on this album than previous ones, which certainly isn’t a bad thing. 

3.      World War II in Color  on Netflix: This has been my go to series this month while spinning on the exercise bike. It’s a series definitely designed for the layman history buff, and it’s a shame because if high schools were to air this during the typical boring history class, we’d have a lot more history majors. Compiled of archival footage, each episode is compelling and well worth watching. It’s one of those documentaries that you just can’t help but feel smarter after having indulged. Good stuff. 

4.  Abzu on PC: A beautiful little gem I picked up on a Steam sale a long time ago but just got around to playing. You are an explorer in a forever ocean surrounded by heart breakingly beautiful visuals and a soundtrack played by Heaven’s Philharmonic orchestra. A short and sweet game I swam through it in about 2 hours. It’s a game to play with a child or a grandchild perched on your lap, a read to me book done umpteen times better. This game makes me want to be buried at sea. 

5.  Olan Mill: Pine on CD: Crying cellos and pianos that tinkle as if from a ruined church with broken stained glass windows nestled in the middle of a deep dark forest. I don’t know why this CD affects me like it does, but I always have to reach for a Kleenex tissue. It makes my soul thrash inside my body as if suddenly awakened from a deep sleep. The band is a mystery at best. They’re not even on Wikipedia. And maybe that’s a good thing; I’ll just keep them as my beautiful little mystery.  

6. Without Fail by Lee Child: Book number 6 in the Jack Reacher universe, this one has Reacher rising to the cause as a security advisor seeking holes in the active defense of the President of the United States. And this time Reacher isn’t alone. He has two partners, both females, one a former Army partner, and the other a civilian in the US Secret Service who once was intimately involved with Jack Reacher’s brother in the past, ah, the plot thickens already!  This book lacks the fisticuff white knuckle action of the prior Reacher books I’ve read, but it is entertaining. 

7. Mission Impossible III on Blu Ray: So far, of the three M:I movies I’ve seen, this one overshadows the others. The plot races like a passenger train out of control, and the gadgetry, the locations, and all the intrinsic elements make this a fun movie to watch. If you’re a fan of Solid Snake or Sam Fisher, this is a must see. I directly watched it again right after, but with Tom Cruise and J.J. Adams’ (the film’s director) comments. They were entertaining, and though I’m not a fan of Cruise in the real world, he definitely harbors a genuine love for acting and puts his all into every role he does. And ever since Abrams was offered the helm of both  the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises, I just lost the little bit of fandom I have for him, but I have to admit I was pretty impressed with this movie.  
8. Dragon Age II on PC: I played the first one many years ago, back in 2010 and enjoyed it immensely. I had heard not the best of things about this one, the second title in the series. But until The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt came out, I’d read the third title in the Dragon Age series, Inquisition was the best PC game ever made. So, for me to play that one I have to make my way through the second game. Some of the graphics are a little wonky, but so far the story line is brilliant. I’ve created a character I’ve grown to love. This is like reading a fine novel that you never want to end. I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

9. Saving Private Ryan on 4K HD: This makes the 9th time I’ve seen this? And the fourth iteration of it I’ve seen. I first saw it on the big screen, and then DVD, and then Blu Ray, and now I have the 4K HD. Honestly, I saw little difference between this one and the standard Blu Ray version. I’d say if you have it on Blu Ray, keep it. There’s no need to upgrade. It’s still a spectacular movie, but I think I’ve finally reached that point where I’m just watched out. I won’t soon forget the impact this movie had on me over the years, however, through the many PC games I've stormed Normandy beach over time and time again thanks to the influence of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment