Saturday, March 3, 2018

Edward's February 2018 Mix






It’s been an interesting month. My heart still seems to be on the mend, despite I’m slated to have another ablation in a month or so. It’s been a lot of tweaking over the past 7 months and hopefully it’s winding down. I’m experimenting this month with unplugging from Facebook, yeah, I’ve let it go. It was consuming me. I’ve fallen for a new hobby, well, not so much fallen for it. I’ve always been in love with it. Let’s shall we say . . . immersed myself. We’re talking high resolution music. HDTracks.com is definitely the gateway drug. Just go there. You’ll see. It’s impacted much of what you will read on my mix this month. Perhaps much more so than any other dominating thing in any of my mixes before. But I think you’ll like it.


1.      The Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 on CD: This album will go down in history as one of the top selling albums in the history of music in any genre (and according to Wikipedia THE top selling album of the 20th century in the United States. If any conglomeration of a band’s hits are as eclectic as this collection I think you’d be hard pressed to find it. The CD sounds as good as any vinyl album and I defy you to take it for a spin and not be taken back to sweet memories of youth. Our local high school had a jukebox we were allowed to play at lunchtime. Each time I hear “Take it to the Limit” (an oft repeated tune favorited amongst our high school’s fairer sex) I’m instantly propelled to those days of angst, teen frustration and daydreams about night things with the pretty girl who sat next to me in English class.

2.      Aftermath on Blu Ray: Arnold Schwarzenegger may have outgrown his days of cheesy 1980’s one liners, but he’ll never outgrow his Austrian accent. As a matter of fact several of his roles take advantage of it. This is one such movie. He plays a character named Roman who hails from Russia. Having long been an American citizen he goes to the airport to pick up his wife and daughter who’ve been visiting the “old country.” He horrifyingly discovers they’ve perished in an airliner crash inadvertently caused by an air traffic controller who becomes caught up in too many tasks at one time. The air traffic controller is so beleagured by personal demons after the incident it causes a family breakup (his wife, the ever endearing Maggie Grace leaves him, and you can’t help but not hate her for it) and he moves to another state complete with a name change. Oh, but one cannot always escape one’s fate. Schwarzenegger has been searching for him, just to get a proper apology for his mistake which took his family away. This film captures the sad plight of both men with equal sympathy. I honestly wrestled with the attachments I had to both main characters in the film, and the ending really caught me off-guard. It’s a depressing film, and the film’s muted grays and blues throughout the movie reflect this.

3.      A Chosen Faith by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church: I spent my boyhood in church. Every summer I attended numerous vacation bible schools and typically impressed every bible school or Sunday school teacher I had with my divine-like knowledge of the “good book.” But looking back I wonder if my faith was a result of my love for God or rather a fear of spending an eternity in “the bad place.” So, imagine a Christian denomination in which it’s believed God is too good to send any of his creation to such a place. The idea is termed Unitarian Universalism. Clara Barton and Ralph Waldo Emerson were members. I was turned onto this idea several years ago by my friend Mark Lowe (who is now an atheist). I was disinterested at the time, but Mark planted a seed. I’m doing research reading this book, and so far it seems to speak to me. People cross in and out of our lives for a reason I’ve learned. And perhaps I was meant to read this book. Mark, thank you.

4.      Def Leppard Adrenalize on CD: I remember when this came out in 1992 and though I never owned it, I loved every song that played on the radio. I wasn’t a super fan of Def Leppard (and had no idea Steve Clark had died) but following on the heels of their epic Hysteria, who couldn’t help but be a fan? I picked this up the other day and gave it a good long spin. Joe Elliot’s vocals are as cool as ever, but I realized without Steve Clark something was just missing. Phil Collen valiantly attempted to mimic Clark’s style, and I admire his effort, but Steve Clark was unique. Still, it’s a fun album and a great album to follow on the coat tails of Hysteria.

5.      DB Power Amp on PC: I’ve been ripping a lot of my CDs into FLAC files now. This pretty much retains the CD sound better than any other form out there and is compressive at the bare minimum. CDs are recorded at 44.1kHz/16 bit. HDTracks.com offers FLAC titles in 96kHz/24 bit which as you would infer, are even better than CD quality. I’d been using Windows Media Player to rip CDs to .wmp files or .wav files for years, and it’s done a swell job. But FLAC is really where it’s at, and Windows Media Player is just incapable. I’d used Media Monkey to play the few FLAC files I’d purchased and it worked. It even rips CDs to FLAC, but when I did this it got confused. My CD was untitled, the songs were untitled, and I had a difficult time finding my music files. They weren’t in the default Music folder of my PC where all of my other rips lived. So I hit some forums and found out power users like a program called DB Power Amp. It costs $38.00 and when you download it you can try it free for 21 days. I knew in 5 minutes I was going to buy it. It’s that good. It even makes multiple passes if it rips a bad part on the CD in an attempt to get it right, but the topper is this: It rips .wav and FLAC at the same time in a single pass. What will they think of next?

6.      HiFi Walker H2 High Resolution Player: My music listening has outgrown my smart phone. It was time to move up in the world. And boy did I. This little music player can play any kind of file imaginable, including DSD files. It weighs as much as a pistol and is a glossy piano black, but its real beauty is its sound. The first time I listened to it my mouth dropped open. All of those years wasted on a smart phone! It’s compact enough to take anyplace, and I actually look forward to getting home from work now just so I can listen to it and lose myself in a book. $138 on Amazon. It’s a cheap ticket price to enter the land of music bliss.
 
7.      Sennheiser 599 Open Back Headphones: So many sets of headphones have hung their hats on my Amazon wish-list over the past three years I couldn’t make up my mind on what to pick until I started spending hours reading reviews and watching YouTube reviews of premium cans. I’d never entertained the idea of open back headphones (in which the back of the headphone is open so it produces a much wider soundscape at the expense of people around you being able to hear what you are listening to.) But when I finally decided on these 599s by Sennheiser and I put them on for the first time, I was sold. Listening to 10,000 Manics perform on their MTV Unplugged album sounded as if they were performing right in front of me, honey wood flooring, soft amber lights, Natalie Merchant’s black hair shining blue under those lights and the acoustic twang of those instruments. I swear I was there. Picking up these cans was like moving from Pabst Blue Ribbon beer to a bottle of recently discovered French Revolution era wine found in the attic of an old chateau. Sound on these things is incredible. And though they are more designed for home use, with their chocolate brown and butterscotch ice cream color I just want to wear them out in public to show them off. But I’ll keep them as the beautiful woman at home who waits for me

                                                                                                           
8.      Panzer Corps on PC: I picked this up on a Steam Sale last year. It’s not what you’d find on a grognard’s shelf, but for a beer and pretzels type war game it’s probably one of the best on the planet. Remember the old and venerable Panzer Commander ? Well, call this its spiritual successor. You begin with a handful of units and as they gain XP and prestige commensurate with their actions on the field of battle you can purchase more units. It’s a hex style game with a minimum of flash and graphics, but when you play it you’ll see that’s a big part of the game’s charm. I’m still in the tutorial section, and I have to admit it’s pretty challenging. There are scenario packs that consist of the whole of WWII including the Allies side. And do you know what? The game is on sale on Humble Bundle right now.




9.      Neverwinter Nights on PC: My brave and true Paladin, Edward is still at it. I’m level 9 now in the middle of chapter 2 (of 4.) I’m in the process of saving four village lads who were led astray by a werewolf, bitten, and now they themselves are afflicted. Such is the great writing of this RPG. The graphics still hold up quite nicely. Going on vacation? Stick this on your laptop and you can eschew the crappy cable TV the hotels offer. I’m still trying to get the spell casting down, and coming to realize my Paladin is more of a guy who relies on brawn and bravery than magical shenanigans. Some of the quests seem disconnected, but then they all come together. If you’ve never tried an RPG before, it’s a great place to start. The only caveat is there is no four-six party mechanics. It’s just you and a “henchman” you hire from one of the local inns. Still, very good stuff. It’s a game I’ll be honored to say I beat.  

10.  Blondie Eat to the Beat on CD: Birthed in 1979 this was Blondie at their best. Recording during the day and hitting the infamous NYC club, Studio 54 at night with drinks and drugs, and despite the never ending conjecture and bickering, this was the pearl created by the friction of this great band. Did you know Blondie was accredited with creating the very first rap song? And this album was neck and neck with The Police’s early works of reggae music. Highlights include “Union City Man,” and “Shayla,” both testaments to Deborah Harry’s remarkable vocal talent. And much like The Police, this album resonates with not only reggae, but punk and New Wave. Probably not as well known as Blondie’s other works, it remains my favorite by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment