Saturday, July 29, 2017

Edward's July 2017 Mix








 
I’ve met with a great and terrible misadventure this month. It turns out I’ve been carrying around an unbeknownst heart defect for the past several years. (Heart doctors don’t seem to think I was born with it.) It reared its head two weeks ago and I’ve been out of commission since. (And lucky to be here, according to the doctors.) Besides the ultimate reality check this has given me, it also freed up a lot of time. I took full advantage.



1.      I Know What you Did  on DVD: As a longtime fan of William Castle’s gimmicky horror movies from the 1960’s I was elated to find a copy of this rare movie at a local Walmart store. The movie concerns two girls babysitting and making prank calls to random people, saying “I know you are and I saw what you did!” They just happen to call a psycopath who just murdered his wife. And the fun begins. As with all Castle films, when this was released in theaters back in back in 1965 some of the theater seats were fitted with seat belts so you could be strapped in for the “thrill of your life.” The movie of course is extremely dated. (All the phones were rotary phones and Caller ID was non existent), but this movie was still a fun movie to watch and the suspense factor was there in spades. Joan Crawford (who was probably a bit too overqualified for this film) does a remarkable job as a lustful cougar.

2.      13 Ghosts on DVD: My good friend, Mr. John Wallen, came over to watch this, another William Castle film, 13 Ghosts. If you like creepy houses, suspicious characters (featuring Margaret Hamilton from Wizard of Oz fame) you’ll like this scary old movie that really hasn’t aged well. It exudes camp like a third season Lost in Space episode. It’s more reminiscent of a Leave it to Beaver episode gone way south. Still, it’s an engaging movie that’s fun to watch. Castle’s gimmick for this film was the life insurance policies he sold at the theater ticket booth when the film released. He wanted to make sure moviegoers were covered if they didn’t survive the shocks and horrors of this film.


3.      Forbidden Planet on Blu Ray: The last time I watched this was on DVD in Austin, Texas many years ago with my friend, Vic Berwick. The transfer to Blu Ray is smart and definitely good looking. This is quintessential science fiction at its best. This film blazed a trail for good (and bad) science fiction for years to come. The film featured spectacular sets and the first all electronic musical score in movie history. This film introduced us to Robby the Robot who made other guest appearances including Lost in Space a decade later.
  
4.      Fallout  on PC: This makes the third time over the years I’ve tried to play through this important game, many gaming enthusiasts have christened, “the best RPG of all time.” It has an array of compelling quests, an excellent soundtrack, and despite its age old almost sprite type graphics there are mods and patches that heighten the resolution for more modern systems. The game is extremely difficult, and that’s what finally killed it for me. To get to the main goal of the game, and get one shotted because I don’t have enough hit points yet, well, a guy can only take so much. I’m pretty much done with it. But I still have oodles of respect for the game and I always will. I doubt I try Fallout 2, even though I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3 and actually beat it.

5.      Star Wars 1: The Phantom Menace on Blu Ray: First let me say this, this movie on my 55” 4K television looks absolutely stunning on Blue Ray. I think a person could think these movies suck, but still have an enjoyable experience simply watching them on a nice television/monitor. This film is an utter showcase of amazing effects, battle scenes, and unforgettable Star Wars characters. My only gripes: Jar Jar Binks being introduced as more of a castaway from a Saturday morning kids show, and Darth Maul, such a strong character who could have been utilized so much more, being killed off before the film’s end. Nooo! He was such a great character! I’m looking forward to watching the rest of these movies.

6.      Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea on DVD: This movie ties right up there with BladeRunner as my favorite movie of all time. This is the movie that made James Mason my favorite actor, and I think he’s the best Captain Nemo that’s ever graced the planet. But the real character show stealer in this particular vehicle is actually a vehicle, the Nautilus. I’d never seen this movie as a child, but if I had I’m sure I would have forever wanted to steal away and become one of Nemo’s submarine sailors just to have the chance to live aboard this wondrous vessel. This film which garnered two Academy Awards, Best Special Effects and Best Color Art Direction in 1954 is well worth a watch if you get the chance.


7.      Borderlands on PC: This makes my second play-through. I beat it in 72 hours which includes all of the DLCs that shipped after I had beat the original back in 2010. I’m still playing the game with my friends, Gene Clifford and Phil Harvey. The game is a mix of everything you know and love about post apocalyptic desert environments, e.g. Mad Max, The Book of Eli, and the venerable Fallout series with a huge splash of laugh out loud humor thrown in. The cartoony graphics work quite well in the telling of the story, and running around shooting bad guys and looting their weapons is like being thrown into a convenience store for a ten minute scratch off ticket shopping spree. This game is fun and more so with friends.

8.      Neverwinter Nights on PC: I first attempted this game back in 2002 upon its release trying to play a bard. That’s just all kinds of wrongo! What was I going to do sing the monsters and villains to death? Needless to say, I didn’t get very far in the game and quit playing. It probably didn’t help that this was only the second RPG I had ever played. Well, I picked up the game on gog.com and decided to give it another go. This time I’m playing a paladin whose specialty is strong armor and a two handed Great Sword. So far, it’s making a huge difference. The game has aged well, and if you’re looking for a good role playing game with a good story, you might want to pick it up. I actually got it on a sale for $2.49, and that’s for the diamond edition which includes extra story modules. You should play it so we can talk about it.


9.      The Shack by Wm. Paul Young: I started reading this after my friend Gene Clifford passed it onto me with the sage advice to simply pass it on when I finished it. I’m halfway through this interesting tale of a man whose daughter was abducted and killed, and he’s instructed by a letter he finds from God to go to the cabin in which lay the most compelling evidence of his daughter’s abduction and the heart rending surmise of what became of her. The man answers the call and meets God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. The book is interesting and I like the dialogue, much of it nothing short of profundity, but Young’s choice of how the Trinity personifies Itself into three different human beings leaves a little to be desired. Maybe I’ll get on-board as I get more into the book, but I’m just not feeling it.

10.  AC/DC High Voltage on CD: I had never listend to this, AC/DC’s first release. I find it hard to believe that Rolling Stone Magazine deemed it “less than impressed.” This album was far better than the punky stuff coming out of Britain at the time. And look at us, we had The Bay City Rollers and theatrical bands like Kiss coming out. This album was pure unaltered high energy rock and roll. This album introduced AC/DC’s official ballad, “It’s a Long Way to the Top,” and “She’s Got Balls,” a tribute Bon Scott wrote for his wife. If you want to sizzle your speakers, or get into some air guitaring I suggest picking this one up. Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment